Tuesday, December 9, 2014

My Favorite Outsider: Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady

I'm a fool for those that make me laugh.  If you want me to endorse a candidate, follow a flag, babysit kids or be nice to your Mama, make me giggle.  That's been true for a long time and that's why I champion Florence King.  I've never met the lady, don't expect to meet her and I don't endorse many of her positions but she has my undying devotion (and I read whatever she writes) because she tells a story well and her stories can make me laugh.   

Florence is the ultimate outsider,  She comes by it genetically, according to her memoir, Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady.   Her mother, Louise, was the anti-Southern Belle who cursed, competed with men and avoided flirting like it was the plague.  Her father was a self-educated cockney musician who didn't follow any of the practices associated with a Gentleman of the South. These two oddballs got along by accepting each other's differences and their only child was Florence.  That girl puts them both in the shade.

Imagine, if you will, a beautiful child who goes off to school wearing pinafore dresses and Mary Janes.  Her favorite beverage is black coffee, she already reads, writes and knows more about British history than the teacher and, oh yes, she doesn't like other children.  Can't stand the immature, drippy little sots.  (For some reason, they don't care for her either.)  Little Florence said she honestly surprised to be classed in with these proto-human beings.  Until first grade, she never realized she was a child.  She just assumed she was short.

Luckily children eventually mature and you'd think she'd be happier in adolescence.  Nope, Florence discovers she's gay.  Remember this is the 1950's when everyone is expected to conform.  It was the Era of The Closet and Florence is expected to like boys.  Well, boys aren't bad but it's a girl that really speaks to her soul and Florence is still outside mainstream culture and watching the rest of the world.  At least she's getting used to being uncomfortable.

Move to the 1960's and 70's when things are getting a little more tolerant, at least if you are left wing.  Did I mention Florence is politically conservative?   This may go back to her dislike of groups (It's hard to find any groupier group than the Kym-By-Ya-Yahs of that period) but either way, she's out in the cold.  The GOP can't tolerate her private life.   The Daughters of Sappho can't stand her public views.  (Last I heard, she was lambasting the Tea Party as a bunch of publicity seeking, spoiled TV brats - that's our Florence, dissing anyone who behaves badly. Reality TV must leave her exhausted)

Because Florence is, in the end, a Southern Lady, even when she fails the course.  She may not gush over people or serve in the Junior League but she does believe in treating others with respect; the same respect she'd like to receive.    I think I can manage that, if I watch my grammar and avoid her presence.   May she live as long as she wants to and enjoy her life as an outsider.  And if it's possible, I hope she writes some more.  I don't have to agree with her when she makes me laugh.



No comments:

Post a Comment